Monday 9 June 2014

Art - Blind Contour Drawing

Blind Contour Drawings 




Art Slump

Many people have told me that after doing HSC art they find they cannot get into making art for a lengthy period of time.
I really enjoyed completing my major work and it pushed me to new limits. I discovered talents, which I was not aware I had which was extremely satisfying. Therefore I would not have considered that I could experience this so called slump. Until this moment when I realised I was in that ‘Art Slump’ everyone talks about.
I had started little bits and pieces of drawings and paintings but I was yet to finish them since completing year 12.
I was inspired to start a new little artwork after reading the 69th Issue of Yen, which I am yet to reveal as I have completed about 1/7th of the work. But I am really excited about it.
So I have been drawing quite a bit over the last few days, probably not my best decision considering the amount of work that sits in front of me waiting to be studied for the end of semester exams.
Nevertheless I have no regrets and I am embracing my artistic mood.
So back to the slump, while studying at about 11pm I though back to an art activity I did in year 8 at school. It was so simple yet I loved it and I find myself doodling using the technique quite often.
It is blind contour drawing. I got out my art book closed my eyes and drew continuous line faces for about an hour. It is awesome because each time I opened my eyes I was not sure what I would see, whether the face would appear somewhat realistic or whether it would be completely unrecognisable.
I guess I find my inner Picasso by doing this because the first time this technique was showed to me it reminded me of Picasso's work.
I tend to draw and paint realistically and the totally unrealistic nature of blind contour line drawing helps me step out of my comfort zone.
Back to the point I think doing this little art task helped me out of my ‘Art Slump’ which I was unaware I was in until now.
I highly recommend doing some continuous line or blind doodles as they are pleanty of fun and the results are surprisingly cool. 
xo


Images 1 & 2 - Pages from my Art Book

No comments:

Post a Comment